Apple Spice Cake:
1 ¼ cup soy-milk (room temperature)
2 tsp apple cider vinegar
2 ½ cups spelt flour
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp baking soda
2 tsp cinnamon
½ tsp all-spice
½ tsp ginger
½ tsp sea salt
1 cup shredded apple
1/3 cup coconut oil (soft at room temperature)
1 cup packed brown sugar
½ Tbsp unsulphured blackstrap molasses
2 tsp vanilla extract
¾ cup pecans, roughly chopped
Maple Buttercream Frosting:
3 cups powdered sugar
8 Tbsp vegan butter or margarine (room temperature)
6 tablespoons maple syrup
- Pre-heat oven to 350°
- In small mixing bowl whisk together the soy-milk and apple cider vinegar and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl combine flour, baking powder, baking soda, cinnamon, all-spice, ginger, and sea salt.
- In a third bowl beat together coconut oil and brown sugar with a hand mixer until fluffy. Then beat in molasses, vanilla extract, and soy-milk and vinegar mixture until smooth.
- Add the liquid ingredients and shredded apple to the dry ingredients. Fold the batter until it’s just combined, ensuring not to over mix it.
- Lightly oil 2 x 7 ¼” cake pans with a little bit of coconut oil. You can also bake one at a time if you only have 1 pan.
- Divide the batter evenly between the cake pans. Spread out the batter so it’s even and to the edge of the pan.
- Bake for 18-20 minutes on the center rack. Cake is done when a toothpick comes out of the center of the cake clean.
- Transfer cakes out of the pans onto wire racks and allow to cool completely before frosting.
- To make the frosting beat together vegan butter, powdered sugar, and maple syrup until fluffy and smooth.
- Place one cake bottom side down on your serving plate and spread frosting evenly with a spatula across the entire top of the cake. Place the other cake, bottom side down, on top of the frosting. Use remaining frosting to cover the entire cake.
- Using the palm of your hands gently press small handfuls of roughly chopped pecans along the entire side of the cake until well coated.